[tlug] Re: Japanese in Xandros/Debian (lost the headers, sorry)

Sigh, once again I deleted too quickly--this is mutt, so there's no
recovery.

So, we've gotten to the point where you get the input module but nothing
happens when you hit shift+space.

I've seen this and it's often because either the terminal or environment
doesn't support the locale, or perhaps the fonts can't be found.

One thing that sometimes works is to put the XMODIFIERS and LC_CTYPE
variables in .bash_profile.  In your .bash_profile try adding

export XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM'
export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8

This is for testing only, if we get somewhere with this, we can worry
about only calling it when needed.  I've also forgotten which terminal
was being used.  If you used a simple xterm, that's what would happen,
as it doesn't support Japanese on most systems.  If you were using
gnome-terminal, for example, the export doesn't seem to work.  That is,
if you export the variables in a gnome-terminal, then, from that
terminal type gnome-terminal, the new terminal that opens won't have the
variables set.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Angelus: No weapons... no friends... no hope. Take all
that away and what's left?
Buffy: Me.