Re: [tlug] Linux / MacOS X and dv cameras

On 20/07/07, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:

Are you pregnant?

I'm not, but my wife was until about 10 weeks ago. :)

You only need to watch the TV ads to see that "filming
our little darlings on sports day" is the main driver of camera sales.

Witness the covers of two different camera magazines that I picked up at Bic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmglov/862311814/in/set-72157600933778635/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmglov/862311294/in/set-72157600933778635/

I've heard the HDD tapes are considerably more expensive.

You heard right. The price different seems to go like this:

Tape: baseline
DVD: + 30,000 yen
HDD: + 50,000 yen

I like tapes as they record in lossless AVI,

Well, that may have sold me right there.

I have got the impression that the firewire interface for controlling
playback on the camera is standard, not manufacturer-specific. (I didn't
install any drivers.)

Yeah, I am sure you are right, but that will not stop manufacturers like Sony from doing something stupid and bullshitty.

Sony's professional stuff has to conform to standards--I would
imagine--or Hollywood would not use them. But their CE stuff is
probably just like all Sony CE gear: fucking proprietary whenever
possible.

I hate Sony and will not buy one of their products unless I have no
other choice.

If Bic offer you the 5 year guarantee in exchange for 5% points I think
it is good value. Our first camera went wrong after 4 years. (I bought a
new camera, then 6 months later stumbled across the 5 year guarantee -
you can imagine the mix of emotions!)

Yeah, I tend to go for the long warranties, but I need to make sure that Bic will honour that shite if I am not in Japan in five years, which is a distinct possibility.

Which I doubt they will, so I may try to buy a extended warranty from
the manufacturer.

> (I heard that Yamada Denki moved
> in right by the south exit at Ikebukuro Station and triggered a price
> war over there, so it is the best place in town to buy CE right now.)

Bic Camera seems to own half the real estate in Ikebukuro, so I wonder
how they let that happen!

According to my source (Fuminori-san, for those of you who came to either the TLUG BBQ[1] or the most recent post-tech meeting nomikai[2]), Bic is 基本的に located by 駅, whereas Yamada is situated for easy access from the 高速道路; Yamada decided to start some shit in Ikebukuro, which--as you noted--is traditional Bic turf. And thus started a gang war that makes the Crips[3] and Bloods[4] beef pale in comparison, but is great for the consumer.

And *this*, Keith, is why I am a Captialist Bastard(TM)! ;)

--
Cheers,
Josh

[1] http://www.tlug.jp/meetings.php?year=2007&month=5