Re: [tlug] Video Editing Soft & Formats

Erin, Josh, and all others interested in this thread,

Thank you for continuing with this topic.

I will have to agree to disagree with anyone who feels, as Josh and others have expressed, that the command line can suffice for graphics related tasks. Even if it's simple conversions. And I'm going to just leave it at that.

Thank you for pointing out Diva to me. It has a nice looking interface which looks promising. However, so far as I can tell, it looks as though development stopped around a year ago.

While trying to find out if Diva is currently inactive, I discovered another editing application called PiTiVi, which I don't think has been mentioned yet.

http://www.pitivi.org/wiki/Main_Page

It looks promising as well. Although, like everything else, it is in very early stages.

Looking around at all the video editors mentioned so far, I am reminded that the key to a successful open source project isn't so much any particular feature of the application, but how robust the community supporting it is. So far, I don't see a clear front runner among the video editors for who has the deepest community behind it.

On the upside, I took a laptop to Biku Camera today, and discovered that the Sony Handycam model I had my eye on will show up in Ubuntu as an external hard drive, with no interface software needed.

On the other hand, I'm surprised to discover that Amazon Japan costs more than Biku Camera. I can't find any online stores as cheap as Biku, despite my impression up to now that usually when I shop for electronics it's the opposite.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu Feisty 7.04