Re: [tlug] Japanese in Xandros

CL writes:

 > I also found that I needed to also reconfigure locales.  When I made the
 > new locale package I selected "none" of my choices to be the default.

Er, SCIM probably wants to know what charset to serve up, and you just
told the system to tell it "please stick to ASCII; nothing outside of
the range 0-127."

Try launching scim with

    LANG=ja_JP.utf8 scim -d

I don't know that it will help, but it shouldn't hurt.

 > $ export LC_TYPE=ja_JP.utf8

Use a bigger hammer, man.  Ie, just do LANG=ja_JP.utf8 and be done
with it, for testing.  I don't know if you made the same typo when you
tried, but the fact that you didn't type "LC_CTYPE" here shows how
easy it is to commit this typo.

If you don't like the side effects of LANG=ja, we can fix that later.
But I don't even trust SCIM to use the right locale variable at this
point.