[tlug] Re: Sony VAIO VGN-UX71 and UX91 series with linux?

Mattia Dongili <malattia@example.com> wrote on 19 Jul 2007 18:45:54 +0900:

On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 05:55:19PM +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
I'm considering, against my better judgement, getting a small Sony in
the VGN-UX91 or 71 family /../
/../
There are 2 or 3 important things that stille don't work as expected in
the UX:
- msduo internal reader
- special keys
- fingerprint reader

Hi Mattia, fantastic information, thanks a lot! I forgot to check even older models (did not know they existed) for linux support. AFAIK, customers in other countries have other options, including linux install. A friend in Tokyo attempted to get Sony to install WinXP without success, even though he offered to pay more for the downgrade :-)

I don't care about the MS-duo reader, or fingerprint support. Special
keys would be nice, but I can live without it if I have the mobility
that I am getting this machine for.

/../
touchscreen works and the screen quality is excellent. Compiz works well
with the video card and it has very good zoom-in/out.

Done deal for me!

/../
well, the fingerprint reader may even already be working /../
msduo reader will work sooner or later. The driver is being written /../
And I myself am trying to trace that damn special keys for the
sony-laptop kernel module, they all send the same keycode but I'm not
that used (at all actually) to windbg so I'll need more time.

If you're on your own its hard. Is there a project on this? Your wikie on this is very nice.

BTW: if you can wait until the next nomikai I can bring my ux50 it with
me and show some stuff.

Sounds good to me. Though I might have bought by then. No matter, show it off, I'm all ears and eyes. -- Gernot Hassenpflug