Re: [tlug] Tip of the Day: "ghosting" a machine with nc and dd

On 17/07/07, Attila Kinali <attila@example.com> wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:22:56 +0900 tlug@example.com wrote:

> One more note: I usually specify the block size when I use the dd command.
>       Example: dd bs=1MB if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
[...]
Nope. With disks you want multiples of 512 bytes (sector size).
With linux doing the disk handling you want multiples of PAGE_SIZE
(which is 4096 on most plattforms). So, use "1M" instead.

Is it necessary to set the blocksize at all with dd? I have not found so in modern Linux, but I would like to know if you chaps feel differently.

--
Cheers,
Josh