Re: [tlug] Tip of the Day: "ghosting" a machine with nc and dd

On Tuesday 17 July 2007 02:18, Josh Glover wrote:
>He also suggested using bz2 or gzip if the network is the
>bottleneck. Travis, care to add that to the wiki as a note?

Given the choice of bzip2 or gzip, i'd recommend gzip for this
application because (with the -9 switch) it usually achieves almost as
good of compression as bzip2 while being *much* easier on the CPU.

Maybe if you have a really high-end CPU on a 10 mbit ethernet connection
it would make sense to use bzip2, but in most cases bzip2 would end up
slowing things down.

Disclaimer: my primary computer is 9 years old this month [it's amazing
how long it takes for hardware to become obsolete if it is running
Linux!], so i'm not accustomed to working with fast CPUs.