Re: [tlug] Tip of the Day: "ghosting" a machine with nc and dd

On 17/07/07, Godwin Stewart <gstewart@example.com> wrote:

scp dereferences the symlinks, thus negating their usefulness, but tar
preserves them. I frequently use something like this:

$ tar cjf - directory | ssh user@example.com "tar xjf -"

rsync can also do this:

rsync -av -e ssh directory/ user@example.com:/path/to/directory/

or

rsync -av -e ssh directory user@example.com:/path/to/

Or, you could use your incantation, but minus the ssh if you don't need to pay for crypto:

# Target nc -l -p <port> | tar xj

# Source
tar cj directory | nc <remote_host> <port>

Godwin, I am correct in thinking that 'f -' can be omitted, right? tar reads from and writes to stdin / stdout AFAIK.

--
Cheers,
Josh