Re: [tlug] Japanese in Xandros

On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 01:58:10PM +0900, CL wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
>

> Scott, thanks for your reply.  At the risk of upsetting even more people with
> my entrance to TLUG, I am going to append my original message so that you can
> see where I am starting from.

No problem in this case--you're being considerate.  However, just for
future reference, posts to tlug are archived almost instaneously.  (This
is my fault, as someone used to the list--I should have added the phrase,
"and am too lazy to go back to the archives," in my post.  So, if that
happens again, you can always suggest (politely when it's you requesting
help, less politely if you're answering a question) that the poster
check your post in the archives.  :)

> Xandros 4.1, in it's most recently updated guise, consists of a heavily edited
> KDE desktop v.3.4.2 running on Debian 3.2 (2.6.18-dcc-smp).  If it matters,
> kernel source and kernel headers were user installed options.  I _think_ that
> my original post lists all of the appropriate terminology as used by Xandros.

Right, and as I remembered, you were using EUC.  You said Locale,
Japanese, so in this case, it was probably ja_JP.EUCJP or whatever
Xandros calls it.   (I'm too lazy to scroll down again, but it's quite
late here.)

> >locale -a | grep ja_JP
>
> I am going to chop all of this and work from a printout of your message.  Maybe
> my original post will answer some of your points.
>
> >Now
> >$ export XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM'
> >$ export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
> >$ uxterm
> >This should up an xterminal that handles UTF-8.
> >In that new terminal, check that the settings are what you want.
> >$ echo $XMODIFIERS
> >$ echo $LC_CTYPE2.6.18-dcc-smp
> >Make sure that they're what you typed before, i.e., scim and ja_JP.utf8.
>
> Let me stop here and ask a question that was raised when Xandros "Support"
> (sic) responded to my question about setting environmental variables -- are
> these changes permanent, or only good for as long as the console window is
> open?  If the latter, is there a way to make them permanent ... eventually?

Yes, see below.  There are various methods, but I find that adding them
to your .bash_profile, and possible also .bashrc, will work.  What
you're doing above is simply testing--it will work, probably in the same
uxterm that you've typed export blah blah, but defintely in the uxterm
that you open from the first uxterm.  That's why we're doing export, it
will keep the LC_CTYPE and XMODIFIER variables.

(I'm not sure about KDE--in Gnome, for some odd reason, if I type the
above, the export stuff, in a gnome-terminal window and then open
another gnome-terminal, those variables are lost. I've never looked into
it, I just tested with uxterm as detailed above, then set the variables
in .bash_profile--when I did that, any terminal opened would have those
environment variables set, including a gnome-terminal.)

> >Now, hit shift+space and see if the scim widget opens up.  If it does,
> >then, when you type, on an English keyboard
>
> Okay.  Let me try and get back to you / the group.  It may take a day, or so.

Sounds good.  If it doesn't work, the failed result is usually one or
another of the following.

You hit shift+space and the only thing that happens is that the cursor
moves over a space.

You input the Japanese and hit enter, and the result is a bunch of
mojibake (gibberish).  That is rather than see nihongo in kanji, you
see a bunch of meaningless letters and symbols.

Lastly, when you open the second uxterm (note, by the way, that you are
typing uxterm, not just xterm--a uxterm is included with most
distributions that have an xterm and can handle UTF-8) the first uxterm
shows an error like "locale not supported, going to default C locale."

Hopefully, none of that will happen.

I've snipped your post again, as, to briefly summarize it, it seems as
if you have the righ stuff installed, and you mention various
environment variables that you've set.  At this point, we're doing the
simplest tests, and we'll take it one step at a time.

It's odd that you had to install it from source. I assume that doing
apt-get install scim-anthy didn't work?

Having reread your post, we want to make sure that you see scim
(sometimes, especially with Debian based distros, things installed from
source aren't seen by the O/S.)

So, double check that your environment sees the installed packages with

which scim

If it was available through Xandros' own repositories, that would have
been better as it would have covered all dependencies, but as it seems
from your post that you were able to install all three successfully, you
can probably get by, for now, without kasumi.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Spike:'Made with care for Randy.' (looks at Giles angrily) Randy
Giles? Why not just call me 'Horny Giles,' or 'Desperate for a
Shag Giles'? I knew there was a reason I hated you!
Giles: Randy's ... a family name, undoubtedly.