Re: [tlug] "Locale" urrrgh

Birkir A. Barkarson ????????:
There's no "merit". This is natural language, that's all.

Indeed. I don't have a clear idea why these date formats are so, like you and Mike noted it is probably just natural language evolution. But, as Josh and Edward also noted, we do seem to agree that in an international environment it can be quite confusing if not noted properly. In such a case using ISO dates definitely has merit.

The world is not utopia. I agreed with Turnbull.

I use YYYY/yy/mm because it is "standard" date format in Japan,
influenced by the masukomi :D

FYI,

date -I
2007-07-13
man date | snip
-I, --iso-8601[=TIMESPEC] output an ISO-8601 compliant date/time string.
TIMESPEC=`date' (or missing) for date only, `hours', `minutes', or `seconds' for date and time to
the indicated precision.