Re: [tlug] linux laptop hibernate question

On 7/13/07, sjs <sjs@example.com> wrote:
I still need to get SCIM working.  I've installed everything and done
the configuration I think is needed.  So far, shift/space isn't bring up
the IME.  I don't know if there is anything else I need to do there and
at the moment am out of time.

I have one box that I selected Japanese as the main language and then changed to English after the install that works great for Japanese - but I'm stuck with Japanese menus in large parts of the total package. I would prefer to install English as the primary language and have Japanese support under that, but I haven't been able to. I know - there has been one thread after another about the steps required to get that working, so I'm not even bothering to ask how here, I'm just commenting that it doesn't seem to be a simple "add second language" step during the initial install.

The fonts on XP looked better than on Linux under Gnome.  I don't know
if there is something I have to add or not.

I wonder if it's the video driver? I have an old P-III 450MHz machine that displays things very clearly, with sharp detail, but on newer boxes, the details (quite visible with some fonts, especially small ones) are not as good. Thus I'm writing this message on that old 450....

Lyle