[tlug] "Locale" urrrgh

<rant>What idiotic nonsense! I do not _have_ a "locale" - I live in Japan, I am a UK citizen, I read English, Japanese, and music (not in that order), I drive on the left, usually, here, I handle three currencies normally, I write dates in the ISO standard format, I write sqrt(2) as 1.414... and my hair parts on the right.</rant>

Anyway, I gave up trying to get oocalc (against which I am prejudiced by its silly name) working, copied the spreadsheet to Xubuntu, and opened it in gnumeric. Not all formatting was preserved, but I can cope with that. However, I now seem to have comma as my decimal separator. Hmm, well somewhere along the line I set something to "English in Denmark", which I read in an impeccable source (the Web, I think) was the Correct thing to do. Unfortunately I can't now find anywhere in Xubuntu with "locale"/localisation settings, and I can't find any such settings in Gnumeric either. (I did find something that suggested that gnumeric just "reads it all in from your 'locale'"...)

Grateful for hints on how to investigate this (or of course Answers, like, 'It's a bug in gnumeric'), and any ideas on ways of escaping the "locale" nonsense...

Brian Chandler
http://imaginatorium.org