Re: [tlug] [OT] Say _no_ to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:35:10 +0900, "Stephen J. Turnbull"
<stephen@example.com> wrote:

>  > I run my own nameserver. Domains well-known for serving up ads are
>  > simply given a null zonefile.
>
> And of course if you don't and you know what you're doing you can put
> those domains in /etc/hosts pointing to 127.0.0.1.

Yes, that's another, albeit less efficient, solution. Less efficient in
that your browser then attempts to open up an HTTP connection to localhost
on order to fetch the "diverted" content. With my solution, the browser is
told that the domain serving up the ads doesn't even exist and therefore
won't attempt to connect anywhere.

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

If money doesn't grow on trees then why do banks have branches?