Re: [tlug] Video Editing Soft & Formats

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Pietro Zuco writes:

> If I don't need a professional work, the resources to read and try was:
I have been working on research for something I want to write about Linux and video editing.
I have most of these links already and I think it is interesting to note;
> http://www.jahshaka.org/
Jahshaka is a very nice suite if your a animator. It has a lot of incorporated features that people seem to like but they have not put out a new release in some time. The 2.0 version of Jahshaka is pretty good but has been around 6 months since its last update. (16.12.2006 07:00). I was quite into Jahshaka for a while but it had it's drawbacks. Like destruction of original clips when edited in the time line and lack of documentation for things like keyboard shortcuts that do actually exist.
I was involved with Jahshaka.net until it faded away. We were working on a global movie making experience .... I uploaded some small scripts and outlines and things seemed to be going forward till last year when all the other people in the group seemed to vanish.
> http://www.linux.com/articles/60624
> http://www.linux.com/articles/60837
These 2 are my favorite cause one points out how difficult it is to get the video editing to work correctly on Linux, while the other says it is easy as pie. Both have there valid points but most humorous to me, they were posted within days of each other on the same site.

> http://avidemux.berlios.de/index.html
I have had small success's with avidemux for making on screen demos.
> It's a lot of material, Thank you again.
> After I try it out I will show the results.
2 others I might suggest for your testing/editing frustration.

LIVES on Ubuntu works but .... it is not perfect either. http://lives.sourceforge.net/
And if you are willing to pay..... Which I am personally there or was Main Actor.... I just looked on their website and a few others that were linked to them and they seemed to have pulled the product off the site.
Thanks for the summary.  Dave, any real dogs in there that you know
of?

The worst I would say would be cinerella which so far in my testing I have not been able to keep running for more that 5 minutes. IEimport a video file position it on the time line CRASH start it back up and try a different video file, CRASH.... I am kinda in the infancy of testing and trying to determine what I should be checking, how I am checking it, etc.

Dave would you or anyone care to make suggestions what some of my test criteria should be?

Right now I am thinking:
1. Usable formats avi mpg divx etc...
2. Stability/Speed
3. Work-flow
4. Options--- transitions audio trimming, video import, etc.
5. Effects
6. Learning Curve
7. Documentation
8. Support Options