Re: [tlug] variable assignments inside expressions in python

On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 16:01 +0900, Hector Akamine wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In C, I can do a variable assignment inside a while expression, like:
>
> while ( (myvar = get_time( ) ) < DEADLINE) {
>   /* use the value of myvar somewhere*/
> }
>
> Trying to do the same in python
> while ( (myvar = get_time( ) ) < DEADLINE):
>
>  throws an error. Is there a "python way" to do this? (I have googled
> a little and the answer seems that I can't, but I refuse to accept it
> :-) )
In the "Ppython Tutorial Release 2.5" at the end of 5.7 you will find a
note about this behaviour.
http://docs.python.org/tut/node7.html#SECTION007700000000000000000

That said the following is some sample code that will allow you to do
something like what you are asking.

#!/usr/bin/python

def get_time(n):
   return n;