Re: [tlug] [OT] Say _no_ to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 12:46:28AM +0900, Roger Markus wrote:
> On 7/10/07, Dave Brown <dagbrown@example.com> wrote:
> >Using "I only use Windows because I'm forced to at work" is a kind of
> >apathy.  Although now I think of it, it's more fatalism than apathy.
> >Me, I just don't use Windows, simply because nothing I want to do works
> >well on it.
>
> That would get you fired from a lot of high paying jobs.

I was recently asked, in a job interview for a pretty large company,
"What OS would you prefer to run on your company-provided machine?"

I responded, "Well, the OS that I'm most used to and the one that I'm
most productive in is Linux, but since you're a Solaris shop, I'd also
give serious thought to running that.  Failing that, MacOS X isn't
bad--at least it's a Unix-like OS.  I don't have much time for Windows
though--I spend more time fighting it than getting any useful work
done."

They offered me the job anyway.  Funny that.

Granted, I was careful to seek out Unix positions rather than just
looking for whatever work was going.  Because, as Josh pointed out, you
do get some say in who you work for.

--Dave