Re: [tlug] [OT] Say _no_ to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 00:16:33 +0900, "Roger Markus" <rogermarku@example.com>
wrote:

> The job is first, the tool is necessary for the job, but there are not
> very many non-computer jobs (and by that I mean that a computer is
> necessary, but it is secondary to the primary job) in offices that allow
> people to use Linux.

I have to agree with Roger here. Out there in the corporate world,
employees have no say whatsoever in what tools they're allowed to use on
the machines that are assigned to them (note that I didn't say "their"
machines, because the machines don't belong to the employees). 99% of the
time the only software that gets the corporate blessing is Windows with
MS-Orifice and MS-Outleak. Installation of any other software is either
impossible or a sackable offence. I remember the case of my insurance
salescritter turning up and showing me a mail I sent her and she'd picked
up on Outleak Suxpress 4! In 2002 or 2003! I told her that she really ought
to upgrade to a later version and she replied that she wasn't allowed to so
that.

Those of us who manage to work in *nix-tolerant environments are extremely
lucky.

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

If money doesn't grow on trees then why do banks have branches?