Re: [tlug] [OT] Say _no_ to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard

On 7/10/07, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
You do realise that you get to choose the corporation that you work
for, right? Or start your own firm?

Pithy and cute, but not very real-world.

I am sorry, but the "my employer made me do it" argument does not work
more than a couple of times; after that, start looking for a new job.

Sigh. For those of us for which the computer *is* the job, your advice is sound, but for some of us (maybe a minority on this list but a mind-bendingly vast majority out there in most offices and most companies on this planet), our job is something else for which we must use computers. The job is first, the tool is necessary for the job, but there are not very many non-computer jobs (and by that I mean that a computer is necessary, but it is secondary to the primary job) in offices that allow people to use Linux. If you don't understand this, you are far far far out of touch with reality! No wonder you don't mind Microsoft! You have no idea what's going on in the world!

There are almost 500 email addresses subscribed to this list, and just
sampling the TLUGgers I know, I would estimate that at least 50% of
our list members have found Unix-centric jobs. So they exist, and they
exist in Tokyo.

May I point out two obvious facts here?

1) This is a Linux list, so it's not surprising, amazing, shocking, or
revolutionary that there are many Unix people on this list!!

2) Again - you're talking about jobs for which the computer *is* the
job.  In my case, the job is something else, and the computer is just
a tool to assist with the main work.  Flippantly saying that I should
abandon my livelihood is rude and non-comprehending of real-world
conditions.

> > If Microsoft has hurt you so badly, why can't you quit them? Sounds
> > like you need psychological counsel more than legal... ;)
>
> "Psychological counsel"?  So you're calling me mentally ill because I
> don't like Microsoft?

Nope. Parse that sentence again.

So you don't understand what "Sounds like you need psychological counsel" means? You are a wise man with the machines, but you had better study your first language English a little more, at least enough so you understand what you are saying with the words you use!

> But seriously - that's below the belt mate.  Didn't
> know you were such a dirty fighter!

I did not either. Perhaps that is because I understand what I am writing.

Yeah - *you* understand what you are writing, but the words you used said something else! Better learn how to more skillfully use English mate!

This is quite admirable and all, but please learn how to make
reasonable arguments to support your points. Otherwise people are
going to dismiss you as just another raving Linux fanboy.

Good point. There is talk of trying to get people interested in Linux but when you actually try to do that, unpleasant things happen! Better to just serenely sit on the deck of the ship and watch it rip its bottom out on the rocks. Wouldn't want to disturb people's serenity beforehand in order to try and avoid the crash.

And as a Unix user, I don't want to be unfairly lumped in with raving
Linux fanboys. That is why I challenge FUD like yours. Not because I
love Microsoft or hate you personally.

The truth is not FUD. Again, I think you need to study the English language so you know what the words and terms you use actually mean. And no, I don't hate you either. I hope you are able to take a little criticism. You can dish it out - I hope you can take it too!

Cheers,

RM