Re: [tlug] Looking for Linux fit Laptop in Tokyo

On 2007/07/10, at 12:02, Michael . wrote:

so summarizing, when I go & search for a Laptop next
week (I have got my first salary by then ^_^), i'll
check the following points:

[my Linux Laptop Checkpoint Buyer's Guide]

x check the graphics card for being nVidia or at least
Intel (I had much trouble with ATI cards as well)

x check the wireless adapter, since many cause
problems

x check the system, especially the processor (for
virtualization) with a Linux Live CD
If they don't allow checking it with a Live CD, try
another store, they will and make the deal ;)

x check tuxmobil.org and thinkwiki.org and check the
model in offer. On both pages models have been checked
for compability and problematic ones are pointed out

x recommended manufactores, series: MacBook, ThinkPads
in general, Toshiba for Laptops (they apparently have
specialized Linux support according to tuxmobil)

Right! As I said, I can't join you this saturday,
since I'll be on a trip in Kanazawa (kanagawa-ken),
but im sure to join a future one!

I took another Michael last year to Akihabara Sofmap second hand store. If the price matters, visit Sofmap because they have a good variety of old ThinkPads and other notebooks. They were very nice to let us test booting from Knoppix.

If price doesn't matter, go for MacBook in Akihabara. They sell Windows at a reasonable cost, if you are interested at all. If you sign up FTTH, they will give you a further discount.

--
BABA Yoshihiko
Urban Design Laboratory, Tokyo University D2

TEL: +81 (0)90 8465 7125 (Softbank)
TEL: +81 (0)70 5561 0255 (PHS)
http://homepage.mac.com/babayoshihiko