Re: [tlug] Re: [OT] Say _no_ to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard

Josh Glover writes:

 > >  > Nor could they, really. Linux was, as anyone who tried it during that
 > >  > period will attest, for C hackers only.
 > >
 > > I think it was really more a matter of having a silicon thumb than
 > > actually being a hacker.
 >
 > I will defer to your experience; my first Linux experience was in 1995
 > or so, with Red Hat 3.something-or-other. I got it installed after
 > much effort, then was like, "Great. Now what?"

*snicker* Oh, that was my experience with Red Hat 3 (and 4), too.

Seriously, by the time I tried Linux, my workflow was basically
organized around X, Emacs, TeX, and Ghostscript anyway.  Most of my
day-to-day programming was text-oriented, so Emacs Lisp was fast
enough and had lots of useful special features.  So I was productive
as soon as I got that much squared away.