Re: [tlug] Looking for Linux fit Laptop in Tokyo

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 02:15:09PM +0900, Josh Glover wrote:
> On 09/07/07, Michael . <evil_xanthos@example.com> wrote:
>
> >I arrived two weeks ago in Japan and I am doing a one
> >year internship at a speech recognition research
> >company.
>
> Welcome to Tokyo and to TLUG! Please join us next Saturday for the
> technical meeting and resulting nomikai. :)

absolutely seconded!

> >Is there like a Linux Store somewhere in Akihabra or
> >somewhere else in Tokyo?
>
> Used to be. I'll let the Aki experts in the group field this one.

I've been there many times during this long pre-work vacation but I
didn't find any... I've seen a Linux Cafe' but no Linux shops.

Something I'd recommend checking before buying a laptop is support for
full virtualization[1] from the processor and bios. It makes a nice game
out of your box (IMO). :)
I know for sure that MacBooks have support for that while Sony Vaios
don't (FWIW I have 2 Vaios here and they both work quite well with
linux).
On how to chek it, probably the easiest way is to get the aformentioned
Knoppix cd, try to load the kvm module and see the last lines of kernel
logs for errors. Otherwise also taking a look at the BIOS setup screen
may reveal some option to enable virtualization support.

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_virtualization

> >At home the distro I was using, was Arch Linux, but I
> >might try a different one, since I got so used to it -
> >for widen my horizon ;).
>
> Go for Gentoo, mate. I hear the developers are Super Nice Guys. ;)

Go for Debian, mate. I hear the developers a Super Nice Guys, even
better than Gentoo's ;)

Cheers
--
mattia