Re: [tlug] [OT] Say _no_ to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard

Josh Glover wrote:

I don't see this happening, mate. I dropped Microsoft like a bad habit years ago, and I see their influence fading, not growing.

I agree. I think Microsoft's latest OS may hurt 'em. I recently bought a new laptop -- nice little Acer -- dual core AMD 64, gig of ram, nice display, dual layer DVD -- only $500. I bought it for the price and the compute power -- as a replacement for my workstation. My 14 year old niece said "oh -- you're going to regret that..." She was right. I ended up taking it back to the dealer and paying about $800 for the same hardware but from Gateway because it still had XP and it looks like I may be able to get it to dual boot Linux (if I can just get the time...)

The open-source apps I use most (cygwin, audacity mostly)
don't run on it yet and may never. The new features weren't that useful to me, the main feature they are pushing -- security -- is just the ability to run as admin.

I've talked to a few others since. The funny part is that some of the people I talked were clueless about Linux, but no one was really that enamored with Vista.

At a recent reunion, one of my cousins (young, buying first computer -- just graduated from high school) was asking about what she should get. I keep my mouth shut at these events. I have a reputation -- you know what I mean :) Anyway, the advice from almost everyone there was Apple. Almost everyone there who had a computer was an XP user.

It was an interesting reunion...

Steve S.