Re: [tlug] Re: [OT] Say _no_ to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard

Hello,

> > > In fact, I really want Steve to be there so he can a) keep me honest,
> > > economically speaking, and b) provide his input on antitrust laws and
> > > competition from a Real Economist's perspective.
> >
> > Beware of economists though.  One may be right from an economic
> > perspective but wrong in the big picture.
>
> This is like saying that one should beware of physicists, because they
> might be right from a scientific perspective but wrong in the final
> analysis, cf. nuclear weapons.
>
> > As such, I'd say there may be cases where a good economic argument is
> > not viable public policy.
>
> Yes, but you'd be a Goddamned idiot not to get input from economists
> (and public health experts, and sociologists, etc.) when constructing
> public policy.

I completely agree and didn't mean to suggest that Steve's view on
Monopolies would be wrong.  In fact, I'd expect Dr. Turnbull to catch
the quirks of economic thinking.

Again, such discussion would surely be much more enlightening (and
likely entertaining) for Steve's participation.

Shawn