Re: [tlug] hijacked email question

On 7/8/07, steven smith <sjs@example.com> wrote:

<snip someone uses a mail-address>

First, how does this happen.  Don't they have to show
somehow that the email came from my IP address?

Nope - not every MUA (?) checks for a reverse-DNS-entry. And there are even providers who do not add reverse-DNS-entries for their domains (I worked for one who didn't do it in a year before starting doing it with getting blocked from AOL regularly because of it).

Second --
is there anything I can do about it and should I even try.

Nothing I know about. Maybe when you get such a mail with forged headers (which is a real easy task - never sent a mail from Satan@example.com), you could try to investigate in the direction of the source-IP. If you would have been located in Germany I would suggest you to file charges against anonymous - but I don't know how this works in the country you are residing right now.

But I guess there are better suggestions from other members on this list.

Niels