Re: [tlug] [OT] Intel core duo errata

 On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 08:29:52 -0500,
 Daniel A. Ramaley" <daniel.ramaley@example.com> wrote
 in <200707060829.52165.daniel.ramaley@example.com>:--

> I don't think all of the attributes you grant OpenBSD are entirely
> accurate. It certainly isn't slow. And new versions of OpenBSD are
> released very regularly: every 6 months. If you want to talk about a
> long release cycle, pick on Debian. (Note: I use both OpenBSD and
> Debian Linux on a daily basis.)

One must say though (well, I am sure there are those who disagree), that
Debian is fairly awesome.  It can be compaired to a lumbering giant,
both
in it's release cycle and in it's stability.  It is slow to mull things
over and decide what to release, but it is just as slow to fall in an
attack.

Debian is slow to release, because they want to ensure stability.  It is
entended to be a distro that can be used as on production level
machines.
They have a strong focus on server and development applications.  Even
the
games that get ported to their stable branch have to be stable.  I've
very
rarely had debian stable crash, and even then it was from messing with
packages that were redflagged from the start. :P

Other distros such as Ubuntoo and Suse and the like, are reasonably
stable,
but do not compare to Debian.  They are targeted a different audience.
They
chose to go more for flash, and games, and things that look nice.  This
means
staying a little more on the edge of modern technology.  They are still
good
operating systems, but they are no where neer as stable as debian.  They
are
geared more towards the average desktop user.

Then there is Gentoo, another beast all together.  It is all up to the
admin.
Even the "average" user gets to be an admin there. :P  It can be rock
solid
solid stable, but still has access to the latest packages.  However it
can
get ugly fast if things do go wrong. :P

BSD I can't speak for.  The closest I have ever come to a BSD machine
was
looking at the shiny FreeBSD disk in a computer shop when I was about
16.
Wow, they have been arround for a while.  O.o;;  That was over a decade
ago.  :)  I imagine they are likely very stable with a maturity level
like that.  Age usually (but not always) brings stability and
understanding
to a dev team.  :)  That is why Debian and BSD are so stable.  I kind of
wish that Microsoft had done the same thing, then at least we could
understand WHY they are as popular as they are.  ^^;;

As it stands, wakarinai.