[tlug] Switching from UIM to SCIM

UIM-Anthy on my Debian testing system suddenly disappeared, apparently due to some presently broken dependencies. I figured I would take this opportunity to try out SCIM, which seems to be more popular.

I installed all the SCIM-related packages listed on the various SCIM pages, as well as SKIM, since I am using KDE. Also, following the directions on this page

http://www.h4.dion.ne.jp/~apricots/scim-anthy-0.3.1/howto.html

I also put this code in my .i18n file:

   GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
   QT_IM_MODULE=scim
   XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"
   XMODIFIERS=@example.com

I also created /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim like this:

   XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
   GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
   QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
   XIM_PROGRAM="/usr/bin/scim"
   XIM_ARGS="--daemon"

I now have a SKIM front-end tool on my toolbar, which allows me to set the key combinations to start SCIM-Anthy input. But I still can't get any kanji input in Mozilla or KDE apps.

Chuck

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University
Faculty of Humanities