Re: [tlug] Efficiently executing a cron job on my webhosting server

Darren Cook wrote:
Also, I tried to simply access the PHP script directly (without
wget), because some information I read said that it would be possible
if "php was installed as a cgi". However, this doesn't seem to be
true on my webhost (assuming I tried to access it in the right way).

Usually typing "php -v" at the commandline will tell you; if not found it means it is not installed. Not all web hosting services install the commandline version.

Also remember -- the environment is entirely different for a cron script. Only some of your environment will get exported by cron. One of the variables that will be different is your path. I sometimes run a cron command something like
printenv | mail me@example.com 2>&1

I'm not absolutely sure about the syntax above. 2>&1 causes standard error to be appended to standard out, but I always need to play with the syntax to get it right.

I can't even use cron at my current ISP. They view it as a security risk.

Steve S.