Re: [tlug] [OT] Say _no_ to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard

On 4 juil. 07, at 13:54, <burlingk@example.com> <burlingk@example.com> wrote:

 On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 11:13:18 +0900,
 Jean-Christophe Helary <fusion@example.com> wrote
 in <E59CA5C5-59F9-40D5-9919-4737A507AC47@example.com>:

And I did not declare that use of "liberal-open-source-license code" was stealing, it is closing the code and/or not contributing back that is stealing.

The vast majority of users for most code will be end users. End users don't generally contribute code back to the community. Most of them don't even send in bug reports.

Are they stealing?

We are talking about _distribution_ of code, not about use of binaries. But I agree that my "and/or" was a little ambiguous. It is definitely an "and".

Users of proprietary code and users of open/free code are, for the great majority of them, in the exact same position: then don't give a damn about the thing as long as it works.

Still, even in proprietary soft there are community of users that share ideas and support each other. That too is contribution.

I am (non coder) admin in a GPLed project that releases code people can use "to feed their kids" and I consider that contributing goes way beyond code. I see this GPLed project (as well as any other one) as an opportunity for helping people with computer literacy "issues". It starts from using a few simple regexps to writing a short automation to reading the actual code and understand bits of it.

Jean-Christophe Helary