Re: [tlug] [OT] Say _no_ to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard

david.blomberg@example.com writes:

 > Why give away code to others and allow them to make huge money from
 > your generosity-without some code turned back over?)

Because if you are prepared to demand "some code turned back over",
then it's not "generosity", it's a discriminatory demand for payment
in kind.

Consider also why companies like IBM and Sun use copyleft.  They may
very well be partly altruistic in releasing open source, but the
business logic for copyleft is clear: it's not to ensure that we can
have their code and its derivatives unto the Nth generation; it's to
ensure that anything we produce that can drive a silver stake into the
heart of the Redmond werewolf will not be available for that werewolf
to take use under its current business model.