Re: [tlug] [OT] Say _no_ to the Microsoft Office format as an ISO standard

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 11:46 +0900, Darren Cook wrote:
> > How do you convince developers that giving others the right to close the
> > code they took so much time to write is a benefit ?
>
> Because it attracts more users and developers, and the altruistic ones
> will outnumber the selfish ones.
>
> When I need a library for a client project typically I only consider
> MIT/BSD. If it is GPL I'll need to spend time clearing its use with my
> client's lawyers:
and LGPL?  this is a library being discussed not a full project.   I
have seen very few libraries released GPL.
<removed portion of email>

> Most companies are more than happy to get their bug fixes and new
> features rolled back into open source projects: it is in their own best
> interest. They don't need the strong-arm of GPL to force them. Once a
> project is branched and only used internally all the benefits of open
> source are lost.
Unfortunately I have not seen this.  I wish and hope it is true, but I
see more companies take and redistribute without returning to the
community.  Granted there are a few exception like Oracle giving back to
the kernel.  However, from what I see many end up like TiVO offering as
little back as they can get away with.

The other Dave