[tlug] Re: Following Threads . . . what are they after all?

* Jim (jep200404@example.com) [070703 17:31]:
> Using an email program that can show/follow threads can
> make it much much easier to follow a complicated discussion
> on a mailing list.

oh, I see now.

> What do you mean by ""usage pa[t]tern"?

I was imagining there might be some functionality to directly jump to a
message in a thread using the information from currently viewed/edited
one.

E.g. I imagined you might be used to such a functionality. And this I
would call a "usage pattern". Like me using "ZZ" in vim to save a file
and quit at the same time, although I am aware of other ways to
accomplish the same task.

Most probably my imagination was wrong here. Perhaps you simply referred
to the ability of email program to _display_ threads in some way (which
mutt certainly does).

In that case, I am now back at the philosophical definition of a thread.
I mean, not how it is done technically, but what are threads factually.
Perhaps here is the point where I was most wrong.

I thought threads are used to mark line of thought. And I broke that
thought.

Best regards
Michal