Re: [tlug-admin] Re: [tlug] iptables - Tools for easy configuration

Edward Middleton wrote:
> I think this would be far better done in the nomi or nijikai, along with
> a Stephen vs Mauro emacs, vi round.
>
> Edward

You know -- I see similarities in this and the IP tables
conversation and the comment above.  I was discouraged in
learning EMACS at my second engineering job  back in about
1984.  I was a heavy VI user already and could do just about
everything I needed in the way of editing with it.  I
started at a shop with mostly EMACS users.  Every one had
his own environment and almost everyone had inherited it
from someone else.  They all knew their version of the tool
but no one understood emacs well enough to tell what was
going on.  I stuck with VI.

My point is that some people want to know what is going on
and aren't happy otherwise and others want to just get
things going and don't want to understand the tool and what
it's doing.  I think most of us are some where in between.

Also many of us on this list are more users than admin, but
since this is Linux, we're in-between too.  The thing I like
about Windows is that it works fairly well most of the time.
 The thing I don't like about it is that the people who sell
it think they own it even after it leaves the door and do
things to manipulate it in such a way that they control my
choices (as with the microsoft Open XML Document Standard --
yea right...)

Anyway that said,  point/counterpoint assumes that one side
is right and the other wrong.  In fact, both sides are right.

If I could be there, what I would like to see is a
discussion of how IP tables work and how the front end tools
work with IP tables -- pro and con.

My two cents...

Steve S.