Re: [tlug] iptables - Tools for easy configuration

[Cross-posting to -admin so people can see my meeting idea.]

On 02/07/07, Pietro Zuco <drzuco@example.com> wrote:

I think we have completely different points of view. Anyway the
important think is that it works at the end.

Agreed. So I propose the following for the upcoming meeting:

Point / Counterpoint - Secure Firewalls; Raw iptables or a GUI Tool?

Josh Glover and Pietro Zuco square off to present two sides of an
important security issue. Mr. Glover holds that using a tool to ease
the tedium of baseline rule generation is valuable and more secure,
whereas Mr. Zuco feels that using a tool robs the admin of knowledge
and results in a less secure firewall.

Format: 2.5 minutes for the point, 2.5 for the counterpoint, 5 minutes
for follow-on questions / discussion with the peanut gallery. A coin
flip will decide who goes first.

No interruptions will be allowed; the speaker will have the full 2.5
minutes to present his point of view.

What do you think? I think it could be a neat thing to start doing at meetings. I think the format can keep it from getting flame-esque, and you and I respect each other enough to keep it technical and not take it personally.

Plus, it is not clear to me that there is a "right" and a "wrong" to
this issue, making it ideal for Point / Counterpoint.

You game?

--
Cheers,
Josh