Re: [tlug] Open Source Developers and Users Survey

On 02/07/07, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

Josh Glover writes:

 > A chap from the Irish Linux Users Group (ILUG) is writing a Masters
 > thesis on Open Source development, and he has whipped up a survey:

Meaningless data from unreliable sources which will undoubtedly be
filtered through the author's biases to arrive at a foregone
conclusion.  *sigh*

I hope this is not one of those. This guy has been on the list for a while, and is an advanced user himself (I cannae tell whether he is a developer), so hopefully his paper will be less masturbatory than you fear.

Having expressed *my* biases, I will go take a look.  However, people
writing theses on open source development by pestering devel lists
with requests to fill out their surveys are becoming a plague.  This
is a trend that should be discouraged if at all possible.

Agreed. But advertising these surveys on Linux *Users* Group lists seems to be a good fit, especially when you are as interested in hearing from users as you are in developers.

--
Cheers,
Josh