Re: [tlug] iptables - Tools for easy configuration

On 01/07/07, Pietro Zuco <drzuco@example.com> wrote:

That's what I wanted to avoid...
I strongly disagree with iptables front-ends, tools or whatever.

Why? They output a ruleset that you can tweak to your heart's content.

I think that if someone want to setup a firewall in the easy way there
many tools even with default rules that will match almost every
situation.

Right, so why not use them for the heavy lifting and then worry only about customising special stuff for your site?

1. That "tools" don't give all the flexibility that iptables gives.

Sure, but nothing stops you from adding that flexibility to the output of the tool.

3. If the admin learn iptables rules he doesn't need to learn any
other rules or syntax of any particular "tool" (Learn Once, Apply
Everywhere and it's not Java ;) )

I hate to say it, but a GUI tool is good for this. No config shite to memorise, just click click click and you have a baseline ruleset.

4. The admin only need a terminal to configure it. Many tools need a
graphic environment, or a web server or some scripting language
interpreter installed.

: jmglov@example.com; grep -A 8 '^RDEPEND' \ /usr/portage/net-firewall/firestarter/firestarter-1.0.3.ebuild RDEPEND=">=x11-libs/gtk+-2 >=gnome-base/libgnomeui-2 >=gnome-base/libgnome-2 net-firewall/iptables nls? ( sys-devel/gettext )"

DEPEND="${RDEPEND}
      dev-util/pkgconfig
      >=dev-util/intltool-0.21"

For a Gnome desktop, Firestarter looks ideal. I am sure there are
ncurses-based tools, as well:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/vuurmuur/

5. Using a tool means that by some way someone can know that the admin
used that "tool" and then try to find some weakness to exploit it.

I agree with this, but again, I am advocating simply using the tool to do the tedious part. You can and should then tweak things for your site.

By this logic, none of us should run Apache; we should all write our
own "secure" webservers...

6. Tools create an abstraction layer over iptables. Why a network
admin need that kind of abstraction?

See (5).

7. If someone is responsible about security, I can't understand why
need to look for an "easy tool" or some graphic, visual, web based of
whatever.

See (5).

With a well organized, documented and clean programmed scripts it's
really easy to maintain it by other people.

Why reinvent the wheel? Anyone who has messed with iptables for anything more than just a "deny all, allow SSH" firewall has to write scripts to automate the construction of long chains. Why not use a widely used Open Source script instead; you get the benefit of many eyes making bugs shallow and security flaws more obvious.

What if you screw up in your script and leave a hole in your firewall?
Who is reviewing that? No-one, until some cracker comes along and
illustrates the hole to you in a sub-optimal (at least from your point
of view) way.

Let's move this discussion to the main list and repost these last two;
I think the list at large probably has some interesting opinions on
this subject.

--
Cheers,
Josh