Re: [tlug] Linux on Sun Fire X4600

Josh Glover wrote:
On 28/06/07, Marcelo Martins <mhtmartins@example.com> wrote:

We're in the process of changing our servers at the lab I work in and
it's been decided that our next simulation machine will be a Sun Fire
X4600.

I've run RHEL on plenty of Sun Fires at a previous job (though not the X4600 specifically), and had no problems.

Though if they are to be servers, you might be pleasantly surprised at
what Solaris 10 has to offer; zones, dtrace, and the new config system
are all pretty damned useful!

Yep! The Solaris free support is very nice from the big admin site [1] to places like the Sun Managers [2] list.
Things like svcadm[3] can take some time to get use to but once you know them you will love them.

[1] http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/home/index.html

[2] http://www.sunmanagers.org/

[3] http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/selfheal/smf-quickstart.html