Re: [tlug] Can't Change ownership of symlink

Stephen, Steve,

Thanks for replying.

As Stephen suggested, the Apache user seems to be www-data. This is what I see in /etc/passwords:
www-data:x:33:33:www-data:/var/www:/bin/sh

So I tried to log in as that user, but it asked for a password, and rejected every password I tried.

Steve said:
Man on chown shows this among other things:
-h, --no-dereference

That helps set the ownership on symlinks more reliably. Thanks for that tip.

Also, with the directory permission for '.' you sent
earlier, only root has read-write permission, so only root
can create files or links there.  When you're done, it would
be wise to make sure that the directory permission is as it
was before you started.

Um... sorry, I don't know what you mean for the directory permission for '.' Which directory is that, and how do I know what permission it was before I started?

Dave