Re: [tlug] Can't Change ownership of symlink

> All the web sites I work on are in a directory called "web_sites" inside my
> home directory. Then I have a symlink in my /var/www directory, also called
> "web_sites" that points to the web_sites directory in /home/dave.
>
> This has worked fine for ages, and then just yesterday, I tried to open one
> of my local web sites, as usual, and I got a "403 Forbidden" error.
> "Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access / on this server."

There is a FollowSymLinks option in Apache:
 http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/core.html#options

Perhaps some apache upgrade has started switching this off (there are
security implications).

BTW, if *all* your web sites are in /home/dave, then it may be simpler
to change DocumentRoot to be /home/dave/web_sites, instead of messing
around with symlinks?

Symlinks are useful when you have a Good Reason to keep different
websites in different places in the filesystem though.

Darren

--
Darren Cook
http://dcook.org/mlsn/ (English-Japanese-German-Chinese free dictionary)