Re: [tlug] Desktop Wars Query

David J Iannucci wrote:
haven't tried a lot of terminals :-)  I got into using Konsole because I
liked KDE, and particularly like the (re-nameable) tabs, translucency,
and easy configurability, including being able to hide the menu bar and
scrollbar. I'm sure there are other terms that do this :-)

I believe it may still be one of the few terminal emulators that's NOT
a rewrite of xterm, which seems to be considered a good thing :-)

As for i18n, it seems to handle Japanese reasonably well, but I have
sometimes had troubles with input.
No it was not your fault. In older versions of konsole specifically the ones that were bundled with Fedora Versions lower than 4 or possibly 5 (AFAIR) Making SCIM/Anthy talk to Konsole was nearly impossible.

I spent the better part of a day stracing the output from SCIM/Anthy to Konsole only to never see a input added to my console session. This is seriously a weak description of the problem. But in a crunch for time and the fact that konsole comes as part of the KDE bundle of apps I am unable to locate its actual version. The FC6 version below [1] worked out of the box. I also have tried to get it working with kbuntu but that was some time ago so I can say Japanese input was broken there as well.

Sorry for the 1/2 assed crappy answer. But no it was not you.
It might have just been my own
ignorance. I've never had a pressing need to input Japanese in a
terminal, and never tried hard to figure out why it might not be
working in a given case.
E./

[1]

Name : kdebase Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version : 3.5.5 Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release : 0.4.fc6 Build Date: Sat 04 Nov 2006 01:25:02 AM JST
Install Date: Wed 24 Jan 2007 04:26:43 PM JST Build Host: hs20-bc2-4.build.redhat.com
Group : User Interface/Desktops Source RPM: kdebase-3.5.5-0.4.fc6.src.rpm
Size : 55623951 License: GPL
Signature : DSA/SHA1, Wed 08 Nov 2006 11:39:06 PM JST, Key ID b44269d04f2a6fd2
Packager : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Description :
Core applications for the K Desktop Environment. Included are: kdm
(replacement for xdm), kwin (window manager), konqueror (filemanager,
web browser, ftp client, ...), konsole (xterm replacement), kpanel