Re: [tlug] Desktop Wars Query

On Monday 25 June 2007 08:08, Phillip Tribble wrote:
>I would like to hear from the most experienced users (ie. Gentoo,arch
>LFS, Josh) on what environment they use.

I'm probably not the most experienced. (I've been using Linux since the
mid 1990s but have only minimal experience with graphical desktops on
other Unixes). But what i use is the AfterStep window manager with no
desktop environment and all of its applets except the Pager turned off.
I've never quite understood what the benefit of a desktop manager such
as Gnome or KDE is, and i like to keep it simple.

With AfterStep it is easy to run without all the clutter (such as
taskbars) at the top or bottom of the screen that most Gnome or KDE
configurations have. Another thing i like about it is that there is
no "Desktop folder". AfterStep treats the desktop like Windows 3.x did;
it displays icons for minimized applications, but nothing from the
filesystem. So it is not really possible to clutter the desktop. Most
people would probably not be happy using my desktop configuration. But
that's OK; one of the great things about Linux is how customizable it
is.