Re: [tlug] Desktop Wars Query

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 04:16:43PM +0200, Godwin Stewart wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 13:02:27 -0800, "Alvarez" <alvarezes@example.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I prefer a fluxbox environment with rox as the file-roller.

I prefer fluxbox with most of my major applications bound to key
strokes.

I have played with XFCE, but found their GUI for key bindings
unintuitive--which is also my complaint about openbox.  I can see Josh,
who is comfortable with emacs, finding openbox's keybindings a breeze,
but I much prefer fluxbox's much simpler (to me) syntax.  (I can't use
emacs--I tried once, but decided to study simpler operating
systems--yeah yeah, I know I've used that line before.)

As Godwin says (and I so rudely snipped) it's quite subjective.  For
myself, I primarily want something where I can run a few terminals, move
them around the desktop with keystrokes, and open other applications
that I frequently use with keystrokes.

I like a wee bit of eye candy, backgrounds and such, which is why I use
fluxbox rather than an even more minimalistic WM. Josh on the other
hand, with much younger eyes, likes even a bit more eye candy,
transparent windows and such.  At least he used to--he showed me, I
thought it was neat and did it for awhile, but it was hard on my eyes.

--
Scott Robbins
GPG KeyID EB3467D6