Re: [tlug] Re: Quoting for Thread Breaking Digest Replies

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:32:45 +0900, "Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com>
wrote:

> > What's a firewall doing looking that far up the stack?
> >
> > Or did you mean a content filter?
>
> What stops a firewall from looking that far up the stack?

Nothing, I guess, from a techincal point of view.

I'm probably very old-fashioned in my mindset that a firewall is meant
to block/allow/divert traffic from/to given IP addresses and tcp/udp
ports, and that deciding what to do based on the content of the traffic
that's allowed through (application layer) is the job of the
application supposed to handle that traffic. In the present case, that
would be a content filter à la SpamAssassin.

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

Just remember: when you go to court, you are trusting your fate to
twelve people that weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty!