Re: [tlug] Re: Quoting for Thread Breaking Digest Replies

Godwin Stewart writes:

 > What's a firewall doing looking that far up the stack?
 >
 > Or did you mean a content filter?

My understanding was that firewalls include content filters, as far up
the stack as you feel like going, as long as they are deployed on the
perimeter rather that on the individual hosts.  Of course, you can
deploy them on the host, but that implies your LAN is a singleton from
the security standpoint. :-)

In particular, Bellovin and Cheswick don't make that distinction.
Now, I'm not saying you're wrong (that's a pretty old book), but if
you have a more recent reasonably authoritative reference, I'd like to
update my vocabulary and conceptual framework.