Re: [tlug] Re: Best to Leave the Titles Alone!

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 22:00:32 +0900, "Gernot Hassenpflug"
<aikishugyo@example.com> wrote:

> Is is correct (i.e., does threading then work) to copy the title
> verbatim from the digest index and paste it into our (in my case
> Gmail) subject line?

No.

Threading has *nothing* to do with the subject header. Messages are
threaded according to relationships between Message-ID:, References:
and In-Reply-To: headers.

RFC2822 has chapter and verse on this: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2822
See section 3.6.4.

> Or is there a better and more acceptable way?

The only way to thread correctly is to receive mailing list traffic as
individual messages *and* to have a mail client that includes proper
threading information in replies (ie: anything but M$-Outleak AFAICS).

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

Hurewitz's Memory Principle:
    The chance of forgetting something is directly proportional