Re: [tlug] Strange shell quoting issue

Alain Hoang wrote:

> RSYNC="rsync -e ssh -av --exclude=\.*"

It works without the \ for me:

   RSYNC="rsync -e ssh -av --exclude=.*"

Let's hope there's no file named --exclude=.foo in the
current working directory. Test again after doing:

   touch ./--exclude=.foo

Whether or not worrying about --exclude=.foo files
is important, only Josh can make that call about his
situation.

A solid workaround is:

   RSYNC="rsync -av --exclude-from patterns"

where patterns had just a single line:

   .*

BTW, I RTFM'd rsync, and their exclude/include patterns
were interesting. I couldn't come up with a solution using
--exclude without the '='. My sh understading is lacking.

Jim