[tlug] VLAN configuration on Debian

Charles Muller writes:

 > The VLAN package seems not to have a man page, and my googling for such
 > strings as "vlan howto" doesn't seem to yield any pertinent
 > information.

You might try vconfig or vlan.config.  But see below.

There's also this:

http://www.candelatech.com/~greear/vlan/howto.html

which I found in the copyright page at

http://packages.debian.org/testing/misc/vlan

 > Does anyone have any advice on possible strategies for solving this?

I think your first instinct (move your content out of the University's
namespace, perhaps replacing it with an explanation of why it's gone)
is the right one.

OpenSSL's FAQ (http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#USER11) says this:

    11. Why does my browser give a warning about a mismatched hostname?

    Browsers expect the server's hostname to match the value in the
    commonName (CN) field of the certificate. If it does not then you get
    a warning.

I'm not sure, given that it's a "warning", why things don't work
there.  It's also possible that what you're seeing *is* just a warning
and that you're failing at a later stage.

In fact, that would be my guess.  The Windows software has a
certificate that is needed to work with that server, and your Linux
box doesn't.

Look for information about the SSL key exchange in the logs.