[tlug] Re: Denshi Jisho

Time to finally jump onto the list!

Glad for the nice response to Denshi Jisho. This, and the nice TLUG
meeting fueled some long over-due development and bug-fixes (beer
driven development is never wrong*). Meaning improved kanji by radical
search. Which really should be called kanji by parts search, but that
isn't nearly as catchy.

As my first question to the list I will hopefully induce a flame war
that will rage on for decades. I am about to buy a new server machine
for Denshi Jisho and will thus have the opportunity to switch
operating system.

The previous dedicated server ran FreeBSD and the current hosted one
runs Linux. I'm not looking into switching based on any problems with
FreeBSD, I'm just interested in looking into alternatives as I run Mac
OS X on my personal machine. Also I have a completely unfounded idea
that Linux might have greater application support due to popularity,
but I'd be glad to be proven wrong on that.

So my question is thus: What distribution should I choose?

I ran Debian a few short moments back in 2002, but I suspect that much
has changed since. My shallow research so far seems to indicate that
it really doesn't matter which distro I go for. But I'd like to see if
people using Linux in connection with Japanese have any especially
strong opinions on the matter. It will be a simple LAMPerl setup, and
the more Unicode and UTF-8 support by default the better, should there
be any differences.

*: Maybe in rare cases involving flight traffic control systems.

--
Thanks and yoroshiku
Kim Ahlström