[tlug] VLAN configuration on Debian

My university has again sent me for a loop, converting the LAN to a VLAN, for which the vendor (Alcatel) has only provided support through Windows XP.

My computer at the university is running with dual boot Debian-testing/WindowsXP, and following their guidebook I was able to get XP connected to the network. The VLAN works with an Alcatel VLANs client, running off of Java. In XP, when I try to connect to the Internet after a new boot-up, I am first presented with an Alcatel Authentication page where I input a userID and password. I am then shown an authentication/reconfiguration script that runs like this in the browser window (also printed as "javalan.log"):

(In WinXP)

jAvlan 1.0.3-NS
Requirements:
    - DHCP
    - Administrator privileges

10:13:24 > Get properties...
10:13:25 > Your previous IP configuration
Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter ãããã ãããæç:
        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : nprv.tyg.jp

10:13:30 > Clearing your previous IP configuration...
Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter ãããã ãããæç:
        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

10:13:30 > Setting up your new IP configuration...
Windows IP Configuration
Ethernet adapter ãããã ãããæç:
        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : nprv.tyg.jp

10:13:34 > End of IP reconfiguration.
>>> PLEASE, CLOSE YOUR BROWSER.

However, I really need Linux connected to run the various cron, rsync, etc. scripts for maintaining my web site. As usual, when I went to the computing center, they just laughed when I mentioned Linux, and went back to doing whatever it is they do.

After digging around a bit, I found and downloaded the VLAN package and dependencies from the Debian site and installed them. When I tried to connect to the Internet via Firefox, the same authentication page showed up as when I connected in XP.

After installing the VLAN package in Debian, when I try to connect to the Internet, I am presented with the same authentication/login interface as in XP. But after plugging in my userID/password, I receive an error message:

     Hostname Mismatch: The hostname in the server
     security certificate does not match the name of
     the server.

     Hostname of URL: webview.nw.tyg.jp

     Hostname of certificate: WebView

Unfortunately, before returning home today (I'm writing this from my home computer), I neglected to copy the output log from my Linux connection attempt. But I remember that it was basically blank, without any DNS or IP address information, just "ethnet up/down" etc.

The VLAN package seems not to have a man page, and my googling for such strings as "vlan howto" doesn't seem to yield any pertinent information.

Does anyone have any advice on possible strategies for solving this?

As an aside, this situation of the poor treatment I received from my "Media Center" people is especially inappropriate. As some of you may know, I have a fairly extensive web site containing vast amounts of resource materials for people who do research in my field. Because of earlier problems with support from my university (in terms of setting up the necessary Perl and BSD libraries to support my web applications), I bought web hosting space at Pair Networks, and it is there that I running all of the sophisticated programming stuff. But because my university (supposedly) values the attention they get from the web traffic through my materials, I keep a lot of the static and hard-linked materials on my university site--even though my personal site has enough space to also accommodate these materials. So if I can't solve this through the help of fellow linuxers, and the media center people continue to blow me off, I'm just going to go to the administration and tell them that I'm going to take everything off of the university site and shut it down. Expect something will happen then.

But in the meantime, as always, I'd love to figure out how to resolve this as another Linux learning experience.

Regards,

Chuck

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University