[tlug] More joy with MMM Mode in XEmacs

Josh Glover writes:

 > A picture is worth 1000 words, so see the attached, then read on.

Yeah, but a few more words would help.  Did you type this (and keep
typing in hopes your head would stop hurting)?  Probably not, but if
not, where *did* you get that buffer from?

 > Obviously, I want these ^M characters to be actual newlines. Google is
 > giving me nothing, and what is irritating the hell out of me is that
 > I'm almost positive I've seen this before, but I cannot for the life
 > of me remember how to fix it. :(

As others have said, you're looking at old-Macintosh line break
conventions.  (For more information than any sane person would want,
see http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr14/.)

Since you have a Mule build, you shouldn't be seeing this unless you
did it to yourself on purpose.  What is the value of
`eol-detection-enabled-p'?  If it's non-nil, a bug report might be
appropriate.  The only case where it *might* reasonably happen that I
can think of is when using TRAMP or if it's the output of a program;
is either the case?

If it was read from a file, to fix it, you could kill the buffer, then
reread with

             C-u C-x C-f title.mi RET iso-8859-1-mac RET

If you're using a fairly recent 21.5.27 or 21.5.28,

        C-x h M-x decode-coding-region RET iso-8859-1-mac RET

is another approach.