Re: [tlug] Re: WWWJDIC backdoor issue

On 18/06/07, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
Jim Breen writes:

 > there's nothing in the HTML standards to set a form-input-coding.

Will wonders never cease!

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#adef-accept-charset

This concept goes back to RFC 1867.

I should have said "there's nothing *workable* in the HTML standards".

When I experimented with "accept-charset", a few years back, the browser(s)
I tried went on sending in strings in the coding of the form (e.g. Shift_JIS),
instead of the EUC-JP I'd set in the form. So I took a different tack and
rely either a cookie or a flag in the URL.

I see in:
http://www.webreference.com/dlab/books/html/39-3.html

"Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 and Netscape Navigator 4.0 ...... both these
browsers ignore the ACCEPT-CHARSET value and consider the form charset the same
as the document charset"

If things have improved in browser implementations I could revisit
accept-charset,
but it's working OK the way I do it.

Jim

--